Island Pathways is a not-for-profit society dedicated to improving people-powered transportation on Salt Spring Island, British Colulmbia, Canada. Our all-volunteer board, members, supporters, and donors work to improve travel by foot, bicycle, and mobility assist devices on Salt Spring Island.
We’re involved in a wide range of community activities:
- Partners Creating Pathways: teaming up with local government and other groups to build pathways next to busy roads; installing hand-built benches along these pathways; displaying maps of walking and cycling routes in kiosks and on BC Ferries serving the island;
- Helmets for Life: getting elementary school kids into proper-fitting quality helmets at an affordable cost and holding bike rodeos to learn cycling safety;
- Bicycle Working Group: advocating and working to get a bikeway — a multi-use, roadside regional trail — that connects the three ferry terminals;
- creating a new, beautiful map to help people enjoy walking & hiking all the public paths and trails on island;
- replacing our award-winning Heritage Map with Bike Routes with a new, beautiful cycling road map;
- supporting cycling related events like the annual Bike to Work Week in late May-early June;
- helping with cycling amenities like bike racks, a bike park, and e-bike plug-ins
Check out our brochure for a quick summary of our work.
PLEASE NOTE: All communication with members and other supporters will be by e-mail, unless snail-mail is requested.
Subscribe to our blog to get all the latest news delivered right to your inbox!
To keep it going:
become a member;
- donate (tax receipts for $20+).
put your Country Grocer receipts into their Island Pathways’ Save-A-Tape Box (#36);
getting your Thrifty Foods Smile Card dedicated to Island Pathways;
- when our new maps are published, buy one or both for yourself or as gifts
- subscribe to our blog, to stay up to date with our various initiatives