Join Us in Celebrating 25 Years!
It’s been 25 amazing years and we’ve made real progress towards creating an environment that supports safe travel for non-motorized forms of transport on Salt Spring Island. There’s still more to do, but let’s take a few minutes to look back….
Over the years we’ve accomplished a lot. Some notable achievements:
- With Partners Creating Pathways a pathway has been created extending from Lower Ganges Road to Swanson Road along Atkins Road past Meadowbrook, allows users to safely and easily proceed along Atkins, accessing the Upper Ganges Center, Lady Minto Hospital, Legion, and Senior Center on one end, and the pool, school, and downtown Ganges at the other end.
- Completed two pedestrian walkways along Blain and Crofton Roads
- Built a demonstration bikeway-walkway at Portlock Park in 2000
- Monitored the construction of 30 km of paved shoulder bikeway/walkway on Salt Spring in 2002
- Developed the Helmets for Life program that provides approved helmets for Salt Spring Island elementary school children
- Ensured a Cycling Network route and bike parking bylaw are in the Official Community Plan
- Published the Salt Spring Island Heritage Map
- Encouraged BC Ferries to install bike racks at ferry terminals
- Installed bike racks around Salt Spring Island for community use
- Sucessfully fundraised for on and off road improvements